Sunday, July 30, 2006

A Moonlight Serenade...

Well this week the schedule said we were suppose to do 12 miles on Saturday. Didn't we just do 14 miles last Saturday? Man, the time is getting closer and now the rubber is really meeting the road. This was not a good week at all for me in regards to getting miles on my legs. Between the excitement of the arrival of Baby Lyric, getting ready for my group's presentation for school, the president of our company coming into town, and other work related tasks, I only got roughly 2.5 miles in so far. I was looking forward to Saturday, but then, we hear the forecast. Heat advisory from Saturday until next Wednesday. Temperatures with heat index up to 110 degrees. Yikes!

But Saturday DH and I were determined to get out there. Only one small snag. My BIL made plans for that morning, so we were without a babysitter. Never want to assume that BIL can babysit. He has a life. It's our responsibility to check in with him first. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't be able to even consider a marathon, so no sweat on that one. We said we'd just go out Saturday night and run.

Well, Saturday night was HOT so that notion was scratched. Sunday was going along, and I kept asking if we were going out this evening. DH didn't answer. Then around 8:45 pm he says, "If you want to go out, you'd better hurry up." Wow! A night run. I was a little nervous, but I got dressed and got in the car to conquer the night.

We had the park to ourselves and it was humid with a capital H. We barely spoke as we jogged and walked the course. All I heard was the pounding of the pavement and the chirping of the crickets while the moon followed us around the park. At our pace, we would have been there until midnight if we did the entire 12, so we decided to do just one lap around. I figure six is better than zero. Plus with the heat and humidity we needed to get back. But I'm proud that I was able to keep up with him for the most part. Maybe he was going slow on my behalf, but I couldn't let him out of my site since it was dark out there. :)

So here's how we did.

6 miles 1:27:30 14:35 min/mile pace...

1 comment:

Mmem said...

Wow, a night run, wild!!! You did six miles, woo hoo!

Finding babysitting is always tough, we feel your pain on that one. GL getting through the heat and getting your runs in:-)