Sunday, July 02, 2006

Long Run -- kinda

Well this weekend had it's twists and turns. I was suppose to do 9 miles on Saturday, but instead did work around the house until late afternoon. So in the late afternoon, I went with my BIL and two sons (ages 2 and 4) to the park to "run". Instead, I walked two laps and let my my 4 year old run ahead of me. He was too excited to be "exercising". He even insisted on brining his Gatorade so he wouldn't be thirsty. Meanwhile the 2 year old was in the stroller enjoying himself with legs cross like a king. It was a good time even though my "run" was squashed. I was really enjoying myself with them. "Look Mama, we're on tv." Was the reply when I told my big boy that he was running like an Olympian. I thought that would wear him down, since he has A LOT of energy. But after his bath on Saturday, he was still talking about how he got out there and "exercised." Maybe this will be a good habit for them to start.

So I got up on Sunday to get in my 9 before church. It was a cool start to the morning unlike our 97 degree weather on Saturday. I had a time limit, so I knew I couldn't get the whole 9 in. So I did a run/walk of 6 and walked one mile straight back to my car. I just wanted to enjoy the peace and quiet of the Sunday morning. So not a wasted mile at all for me anyway.

Now my BIL and hubby are going to do the 9 as I post this. They are pretty pumped. I'm glad I already did mine. Well kinda... :)

BTW, the 6 was done in 1:24 so that's 14 min/mile exactly. I will be so glad when I get out of this time crunch for these long runs... It will come.

2 comments:

Mmem said...

6 miles on Sunday morning, awesome!!!

I had a great time at the local hs track with my dh and 4 & 1 yr old. Like your 4 yr old, mine was "jogging" off some of his energy. He was whooped afterwards, but we all had such fun (when he stopped getting upset that Mommy kept "running away.";)). So your run may have been squashed, but you built more permanent family bonds:)

Props again on the 6, that's great!

boatgirl said...

Those are definitely memory builders. I really don't think that is wasted time. He still remembers stuff that we did that to an adult would seem so trivial. I just love seeing the world through their eyes.