Saturday, September 16, 2006

The 18 Miler...

Before I got out of bed this morning, I asked God to please help me to finish these 3 laps. Without Him, I can do nothing in my own strength.

When I left the house, the weather was beautiful. Hit the streets at 5:55 and arrived at the Park around 6:15. I saw two familiar cars, so went the opposite direction in hopes to occassionaly see a familiar face. DH stayed at home so I could go out. He is so kind. The goal was to complete 3 laps today (18 miles). And the goal was accomplished. Did it in less time than last week too. A couple of things I did differently. I carbed up really well for lunch yesterday. And I invested in the PowerGel.

We were using ClifBars, but since this will be served at the race, I figured I had better try it. It was great! Not the best tasting stuff, but was good. Didn't have to chew a huge Cliff bar. With the gel, you just take a couple of gulps, drink some water, and you're done until the next time.

The first lap was fine. Second lap, I felt good. First 3 miles of the third lap were good, but then around the bend I began to slow down. Anyway, it is done.

Our final LONG run will be 20 miles in two weeks.